When we talk about Brand Guideline, Brand Strategy or Brand Manual with an international reference we see detailed documents consisting of hundreds of pages. It elaborates every single detail, from the most commonly understood logo, color, design to the most complex part of Brand like soul, idea, promises, and all. These complex ideas and elaborations are most strictly understood by seasoned brand marketing professionals only.
But if we need to understand and set a workable guideline on a regular basis, we need to have a simple and crisp document which everybody can understand easily.
My favorite approach to defining a brand and, keep moving forward would be a very simple “Single Page Brand Strategy”. There is a very common saying in the Strategic Marketing, “We need to be on Same Page,” and the single page strategy truly brings all the stakeholders into the same page, from a trainee to the CEO of the company.
- Brand Promise: There is a very shrewd and controversial saying, “Promises are made to be broken.” If you are thinking I am going to advocate the saying, you will be disappointed. Most of us in the Sales & Marketing profession actually believe that distorting the brand promise in communication is acceptable and that the consumer will never figure out the loopholes. For them, I would say that your consumers are SMARTER than you. Brand Promise is something which a brand wants to deliver for their consumers and earn their respect and admiration towards the brand. It not only helps the brand owners with understanding what to deliver but also what to expect from the consumer side. Understand it like this: Brand Reputation = Brand Promise = Brand Image
Brand Promise is something which a brand wants to deliver for their consumers and earn their respect and admiration towards the brand. It not only helps the brand owners with understanding what to deliver but also what to expect from the consumer side. Understand it like this: Brand Reputation = Brand Promise = Brand Image
- Brand Essence/Soul: The Brand Soul is considered to be very messy, largely trying to incorporate the immense amount of brand’s expectation and desire as much as like our human soul. The actual Brand Essence encapsulates the entire brand soul in 3 – 5 words. The objective of developing essence is to give stakeholders a crystal-clear understanding of the brand and to encrypt the core message through advertising campaign and other communication. The essence is also defined as the core value of the brand.
- Brand Image: Image is a kind of prompt thought that immediately pops up in the consumer’s mind when they see any brand on the shelves of departmental stores or other market places depending upon the nature of brands. As I have mentioned in the above section “Brand Promise”, if the brand owners or the managers can keep up with its promise and quality you will have a positive and intended brand image among your most cherished consumers. Brand Image is directly proportionate to Brand Promise.
- Brand Proposition: In the very inception of making or crafting any product or brand, we usually make a very common mistake, that we think of it from producers’ perception only, be it quality, design, or any features. To establish link between producer and target consumers, you need to be careful when you are creating or nurturing any brand; you must have definite objective or plan which will solve the consumers’ problems. A perfect brand proposition is key to opening the consumer’s heart and creating effortless sales. S/he must immediately feel this brand is going to solve my need/problem instantly.
- Brand Association: Association means creating a certain identity or image in the head regarding an object or brand. If you see a girl at jogger’s park you will associate her as health-conscious, whereas if you bump into her at a night club you might think she is a party lover. Similarly, some brands have a strong association like Coke with refreshment, Nike with winning, or in our local context, Wai Wai as quick meal. So, the association is the generic belief that pops up in your consumer’s mind which largely depends upon what the brand does and what not.
- Brand Positioning: Positioning is the most crucial part of the Single Page Brand Strategy. This is the establishment of what the brand stands for and what it does? The positioning has to be derived from all the above-interconnected aspects of building a brand. Since it is not a mathematical approach, we can’t have the exact answer. The approach needs to be a deep-dive research and an understanding of the intrinsic and extrinsic value of the brand. A seasoned professional can do the most relevant and futuristic positioning and express it through a positioning statement.
- Brand Value: Normally, when you ask anyone from the marketing and advertising fraternity about brand value, the majority will give you the answer in figures of the brand which is absolutely wrong when we are extracting actual brand value.
Brand value is the core take away of your target consumers from your brand, and not how much it worth in the balance-sheet. It is an intended value that we want our consumers to take away when they buy or use our brand. When the Intended Value = Received Value, the brand will enjoy high perceived value which will reflect in creating desired Brand Reputation
To wrap it up, through the Single Page Brand Strategy, we can create high value and a powerful brand by bringing everybody on the same page. It creates perfect harmony to work towards the collective brand vision.
Founder & CEO , M.A.D Consultant Pvt. Ltd
The author is a professional Brand Consultant who wants to extract the brand from his experiential knowledge
Credit: This article is based on my learning from my guru “Mr.Praveen Mukhia” which absolutely blew my mind. The whole complex approach can be simplified if you have understood it completely.